Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bonding Day 11 and 12

Janie is not feeling well this evening, so I (Dean) am attempting to fill in for her. I think the tap water she accidentally drank yesterday is catching up with her.

The president of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbeyev, was in town today. It's amazing how much work the city did to prepare for his visit - including painting lines on the roads!

Overall, it's been a good trip, but I have to be honest and admit that I've already made plans to visit Cracker Barrel as soon as we get back... and Outback, and Carrabbas, and... Actually, the food we've had has been very good for the most part. We're definitely not loosing much weight. And as far as I know, we've been able to steer clear of dishes with horse meat in them. The restaurant at our hotel (Dostar Alem) has been commendable. And a Chinese restaurant named The Princess (I think) serves the best Chinese food I've ever had. There's even a McDonalds type restaurant at a local mall that must get their food straight from McDonalds. It's the same stuff, down to the apple pies. Of course, it was a little different being served Pepsi in a Coca-Cola cup...

Livea is opening up more and more each day. Yesterday was a great day. She was happy for most of both visits, allowed both of us to hold and play with her, and she "talked" a lot. Of course, her talking is mostly a variety of grunts, but it's progress! And it's great how she comes to us with arms uplifted when we show up for a visit, but it's heart-breaking how she wails when we leave.


Today, she wasn't quite as happy. She mostly wanted Janie to hold her and comfort her. And poor thing, right when she was starting to loosen up this afternoon, it was time to go. Janie was holding Livea in her lap with Livea facing her, and told her that it was time for Mama and Da-da to go paka-paka (bye-bye). Livea immediately shook her head multiple times as if to say no no no! It was so cute but heart-wrenching at the same time! She is really trying to communicating with us now. And I really think she would stay with us full time if it were permissible. It's going to be very difficult leaving her for a month.

2 comments:

Kevin Holland said...

Hey Dean & Janie. Sorry it took so long to get hooked up. Hope you feel better Janie. Stay away from the tap. Livea is beautiful!! I am sorry that you have to leave her for a month. That shouldn't be. I have enjoyed reading your blogs as your personalities come out in your writing. Tell Livea that Uncle Rico loves her and can't wait to see her. I am praying.
Kevin

Dean and Janie said...

Thank you Uncle Kevin! We appreciate your sweet comments! Much Love, Dean and Janie!